September 13th, 2010
Excluding "essential" applications like the game you're playing and distros like Steamworks, PC Gamer has listed 10 utility programs that make PC games "just a little better than they otherwise might." They are as follows:
- Ventrilo - Cross-game voice chat client.
- Avira - Lightweight security client.
- CCleaner - Registry cleaner-upper.
- MSI Afterburner - Graphics card overclocker without the rash.
- EnhanceMySe7en - Windows settings protector.
- Core Temp - Overclocking thermometer.
- Fraps - Screen capture program to record your in-game exploits.
- WinDirStat - Identifies which games are taking up too much space.
- Recuva - Finds lost or corrupted files—always a good thing.
- Raptr - Cross-game instant messenging client.
Full app descriptions and screenshots at PC Gamer.