March 21st, 2012
Like any good gamer, I'm always on the prowl for an unexpected surprise. And I also like to peep Metascore every now and then to see if there's a game I might have overlooked.
Boy, have I ever.
Obviously, most have already played Mass Effect 3, which undeservedly received low user scores because a lot of people understandably hated the ending and gaping plot holes. A lot of people have also probably heard about Alan Wake, a solid console port, or the Darkness II.
But what about the other six games on the above list, all released this year and enjoying solid reception?
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - The new RPG from Elder Scrolls Oblivion's lead designer.
- Crusader Kings II - A feudal strategy game that's particuarly popular among users.
- Vessel - A cheap and charming 2D action puzzle game.
- Wargame: European Escalation - What would have happened if the Cold War had gone "hot"? Find out in this wargame/real-time strategy hybrid.
- Dustforce - Retro-chic platformer with bumping-good music and Ninja Gaiden-like combos.
- Dear Esther - A "first-person ghost explorer" game.
Read more: PC gaming news