September 19th, 2012
As I've documented over the last few years, we're witnessing a rebirth of PC gaming. Here's why, according to IT Pro Portal:
- Diablo III. Although hitmakers on PC have been resurging since 2009, Diablo III may have been the coronation of all those wonderful exclusives.
- Steam. Really, the digital store makes PC games easier, faster, better, more social, and cheaper. In a way, it systemitizes the sometimes fragmented platform.
- More creative games. By that I mean an indie breeding ground. PC is leading innovation once more.
- Free to play. The future of selling games. Here right now on PC. Making your wallet fatter and play time longer.
- Next-gen now. There's more to great games than insane graphics and technology. But if you can have both, which you can right now, why not (or in the case of consoles, why wait)? Better still, powerful rigs no longer cost an arm and a leg. You can get a state of the art machine for much less than you would expect.
Concludes the report: "In a way, Microsoft and Sony’s reluctance to roll out the next generation has worked in the PC’s favour. Just as it did in the late '80s, early '90s PC gaming boom, the format has an opportunity to win gamer’s hearts and blow gamer’s minds."
Doesn't it feel good to have your "team" playing well? :)
Read more: PC gaming headlines