February 14th, 2011
Forbes magazine did a profile on Valve founder and president Gabe Newell last week, in which they liken Steam as the iTunes, Amazon, and Netflix of video games. In case you haven't already processed their dominance, here are some impressive numbers:
- 30 million Steam accounts
- Controls half to 70% of the $4 billion market for downloaded PC games
- At only 250-heads, the company is more profitable than Google or Apple on an employee basis
- Growing 200% a year, is "tremendously profitable"
- Revenues "in the upper hundreds of millions"
So that explains where all my Steam purchases go!
Read more: PC gaming headlines