Aurora R4 Sleep problem

So I got an Aurora R4 and when I put the machine to sleep or hibernate, it starts back up shortly after. It comes out of sleep between 1 minute and 1 hour, changes each time. When it comes out of sleep there is either a generic Windows Help screen, or a Generic Windows Search screen. Its as if the F1 and F3 key are depressed on their own while in sleep mode. I have tried a different keyboard, and even unplugging the keyboard always with the same results. I was wondering if anyone had ever ran into a problem like this before, or had any insight. Thank you
Go into your bios I think it's ither f12 or f2 and check and see if auto power on is enabled if so disable it. Mine did this when I got it. Just of would do so after I'd shut it down completely. Also I think yu can set up wake timers in the alien fusion section in command center
Maybe set it to S3 sleep state in BIOS?
Ok, so I checked the bios and Auto Power is disabled. Now it seems I have a new problem, previously the "windows help" and "windows search" only came up on their own during sleep, now they are opening during normal computer usage. Today this resulted in around 100+ instances of help and search opening on their own every time I tried to click a folder/program. Some google searches mention faulty motherboard, any other ideas/insight?
Sent an email. Thank you Pardo So this morning I removed all the hard disks except for the one that has the OS on it. I then put the computer to sleep and it has lasted over an hour so far without waking itself up with either the help or search windows. Does anyone have any opinions on why it would behave that way? I have done extensive virus scans with multiple anti-virus/malware applications so that should not be the problem.
Alienware|Pardo, I may end up trying to contact you again. (FYI to others, the information I am listing below has nothing to due with Pardo) I also wanted to give an update to anyone with the problems that I and others are having. As per my conversation with support on the phone earlier I was told that currently dell/alienware has no fix for the sleep/hibernate problems (they did acknowledge that many others have the same problem) I have been experiencing and there is nothing they can do about it. So as a community of users and reps lets make this the first source that solves these issues!
I was just wondering why anyone uses hibernate. There has been random issues with it sense Windows 95.
yeah the issue with hibernate is not much of a concern as much as sleep, in all reality if you are going to use hibernate you may as just well shut down. However I have owned a half dozen machines in the past few years and this is the first one I have had problems with sleep that could not be fixed with disabling wake on lan, or keyboard/mouse settings, or power settings. If the machine is designed for a windows operating system I don't understand why it would not be tested for common win OS options such as sleep!
Wanted to bump this as its been over 11 days since I emailed Alienware|Porras about the issues I was experiencing. He responded 6 days after my original email asking for my phone number which I had included in the first email. I was told sorry and that I would be hearing from someone soon, now its been another 5 days. Could an Alienware rep give me an update through email or on here? I would love to get this resolved and move on, been dealing with this issue for about 3 MONTHS so far!
First attempt was a clean boot, that didn't solve it, then I disabled wake-on-lan, then i disabled the keyboard from being able to wake up the computer. None of those options worked so I fully reformatted (deleted all partitions) and reinstalled windows, drivers, command center etc. That also did not work. Then dell sent me another Aurora, it also had the same problems. On that machine I tried a clean boot, uninstalling the tactx software for the keyboard, uninstalling command center, and then reinstalling them only to still have the same problem. So I believe I have tried (mostly) everything possible!
I'll try that in a bit when Im at my PC and let you know. Thanks
I just received my Alienware Aurora R4 ALX yesterday and I have noticed this problem right away. It occurred after the first restart when I was installing MS Office 2010. I have noticed that every 3rd restart afterwards I would have the same problem as mentioned before. It became so bad that after I had installed several Windows updates since it was my first day with the machine. Every single time I restarted the machine this problem would happen. The computer will now keep reving the fans and i will have no connectivity with any device connected including mouse and keyboard after each restart. I am forced to hard boot every time after I restart and, upon the hard boot I have to reseed the connections for the mouse and keyboard in order for them to work. Luckily I have noticed than when I shutdown normally I have no problem, so far. I have added 2 additional internal hard drives to the tower x1 2TB WD Green SATA and x1 500GB WD Blue SATA. I have also added a PCIe rear port USB 3.0 with 4 ports. But unfortunately the computer can not detect the USB 3.0 rear ports that I have added. I may have to go into the BIOS for that. Other than that everything else on the tower is from the factory. I do have 2 external hard drive also connected to the machine x1 2TB WD My Book and x1 2TB WD My Passport. I was thinking that maybe a BIOS update would fix the problem, I noticed that someone had mentioned that before. But it did not work for them, and I am running the current version of BIOS (A07). I then thought maybe reinstalling the BIOS may work but it did not. This problem is incredibly annoying now and I would like to know if there are any fixes. The last post on this thred were from 2012 and it is now 2013. For more information about my device, please visit my profile page under my rig.
paperclip said:

I'll try that in a bit when Im at my PC and let you know. Thanks

It could very well be a pehipheral that is waking it up, I had this problem for months with my machine only to find out in the end that it was caused by my Razer Naga Epic mouse that kept waking my machine up. The first thing I would do is unplug every USB while its about to go into hibernate and then see if it wakes up on its own. If it doesn't then you know its one of your USB devices and you can start putting them back in one at a time and testing with hibernate each time till you find the one causing it. *EDIT* Just noticed the admin has picked up on this and given a better solution, disrigard this comment haha
"paperclip" said:

So I got an Aurora R4 and when I put the machine to sleep or hibernate, it starts back up shortly after. It comes out of sleep between 1 minute and 1 hour, changes each time. When it comes out of sleep there is either a generic Windows Help screen, or a Generic Windows Search screen. Its as if the F1 and F3 key are depressed on their own while in sleep mode. I have tried a different keyboard, and even unplugging the keyboard always with the same results. I was wondering if anyone had ever ran into a problem like this before, or had any insight. Thank you

Mine had this problem and I cannot say for sure it is fixed, but it has been almost 2 weeks and so far it has not done it, so this is what I did. I went into windows update/change settings and changed the update time from 3 am to 12 noon. I then went under device manager and went down to mice and other pointing devices, properties, power management, and then unchecked allow this device to wake the computer. Now after those 2 steps it still was doing it. So, I went back under device manager and went down to network adapters and selected Realtek PCIe GBE family controller, properties, power management, and unchecked allow this device to wake the computer. So far the Realtek family controller seems to be the one that was waking the computer, since that was the last 1 I changed and it has been almost 2 weeks without having the problem. I did talk to Alienware about this about a week after getting my Aurora, but all he did was reflashed the bios. They called me back a few days ago to see if the bios flash solved the problem and of course I told them no and then what I did. Like I said, it has worked for me so far, but I cannot guarantee it is the fix.
Hi guys, I was able to fix the problem with the rear panel USB 3.0 PCIe ATA powered card. Turns out my desktop did not come with the drivers pre-installed for such a device, which I found odd since Windows 7 should come with that driver. I had to find the Etron 188 PCI driver, which I eventually found and installed. The 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card worked right away! But I am still having trouble with my front panel x1 USB 3.0 that came pre-wired into the machine. It is a hit and miss, it will either detect a device put prompt immediately for the device to be reformatted, or it won't work at all. I have plugged those devices into the PCIe USB 3.0 and they all work no problem now. I am still having the sleep problem after I reboot my machine or after I run CCleaner and shutdown normally. mark3800 I looked at my power management setting for my mouse and keyboard as I thought your idea was a good one! My Razer Naga mouse is set to wake computer, but when I checked my keyboard a Logitech G510 there was no power management setting. Now I do have a Alienware TactX keyboard on order, it did not come with the machine as they are on backorder right now. I have plugged the standard Alienware keyboard into the computer to see if it had the power management option and it does. What I also found interesting and kinda pissed me off a bit was that the Logitech G510 keyboard will not be detected by the computer until Windows has loaded the desktop, so I can't even access my BIOS settings by pushing F12. I had to plug in the standard alienware keyboard in order to access the BIOS. I have checked the driver for the G510 and everything is up todate and installed properly. I am still unable to wake my computer with my mouse or standard Alienware keyboard once it boots into sleep mode.

This thread is locked.
To reply, please Log In.