I got an Alienware 17 R3 a few days ago, upgrading from an Alienware M17x R3. What I noticed was that there are some keyboard limitations (of course) when pressing multiple keys at once. However, these limitations are different from my M17x. I went to a Key-Test website, and this is what I observed:
- Whenever I press and hold one of the WASD keys and any of the arrow keys, it works fine.
- Whenever I press and hold W and A, only the Down and Right arrow keys work (Up and Left are ignored)
- Whenever I press and hold W and D, the Down and Left arrow keys work (Up and Right are ignored)
- When I press and hold S and A, the Up and Right arrow keys work, Down and Left do not.
- And holding S and D, the Up and Left arrow keys work, Down and Right do not.
The results are the same whenever I use the arrows on the numpad as well. I noticed that whatever 2 or more keys I hold down for WASD, this reflects/ghosts on the arrow keys. I never had this problem on my old Alienware, so I was wondering, is there a fix to this without buying an external keyboard? This is a gaming laptop, and I'm not sure if this is ghosting or some software issue that can be fixed. Checking out this article, http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/SLN146935, it does not cover the issue that I am having.
Could someone who has an AW 17 R3 try to reproduce the issue and see if they are having problems with this as well? http://en.key-test.ru/