buwiii Points: 212 Lv 15
White Rider Points: 212 Lv 30
kfggs Points: 205 Lv 15
Dr. Emmett Points: 202 Lv 30
Nebuchadnezzar... Points: 202 Lv 30

Aurora R5 GTX1080 FE Fan Issue

Hey everyone. :)

Hope y'all doing good.

My DELL GTX1080 Founders Edition's fan is going crazy when I'm playing games and would like to ask if any of you have the same problem.

The fan's RPM will suddenly speed up a lot and then immediately slows down again. I know the fan speed will change when the GPU is under load and/or when it gets hot but and I would expect the RPM to go up as the temperature does but it should be a bit more consistent than it is. The rise in speed speed is quite drastic and very sporadic. It speeds up and then slows back down within a couple of seconds. It's sounding like short gusts of wind in stormy UK weather. 

Whats really worrying is that the fan speed doesn't seem to increase for long enough to cool the GPU. 

I hope I've explained the issue well enough. I'm not very good at describing/explaining things on forums.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks. :) 

Replies • 3

You can set the speed with afterburner but if it is an OEM blower type fan then it's going to be very loud

newalien222 said:

You can set the speed with afterburner but if it is an OEM blower type fan then it's going to be very loud

ZloDey12345678 said:

Hi there @newalien222 and @ZloDey12345678

It's a long time ago now but I'd like to send my apologies... I have only just noticed that you replied to my post. Yes I know, 3 years later! Better late than never I suppose. So yeah...thank you very much for replying and I'm really sorry I didn't thank you 3 years ago.

PS  A few weeks later I did actually discover MSI Afterburner and also EVGA Precision. Afterburner is what I'm using today. 

:)

edited