Valheim's Long-Awaited 'Mistlands' Update Live
The long-awaited Mistlands biome update has officially gone live. After nearly a year in development, this update is Valheim's the biggest update pushed so far and comes nearly two years after Valheim's Early Access release in February 2021. While the game had some updates (Hearth & Home update, Frost Caves) that helped flesh gameplay further, the newly-introduced Mistlands update will breathe new life into the game and bring a needed wave of new content.
Those who have set the game aside will find that the latest biome promises challenge and a chance to renew. "Mistlands is Valheim's most ambitious biome yet," said Albert Säfström of publisher Coffee Stain. "It recaptures the feeling of playing the game for the first time. Confident players who have been running around in high-level Plains gear crushing their foes will be reminded of why Valheim is considered a "brutal" survival game."
The abbreviated patch notes provide the following updates:
New biome – Mistlands:
- New "mechanics" (These are new abilities/items/etc. that fundamentally improve or alter gameplay. To see the full details of what this means, users need to read the full version of the patch notes!)
- 9 new creatures + Mistlands boss
- More than 20 new crafting materials
- 2 new crafting stations, 3 crafting station extensions, and 3 other resource/crafting constructions
- 15 new food items
- 3 new potions
- More than 25 new craftable items (weapons, armor, & tools)
- More than 35 new building/furniture pieces for building, decorating, and defending your base
- New dungeon type
- New lore stones
- New dreams
- New Music
Fixes & Improvements:
- Various console command improvements
- Multiple animations updated and improved
- Multiple VFX updated and improved
- Various other tweaks
- Fishing update
- 12 new emotes
- 9 new hairstyles and 7 new beard styles
- Enabled Yule seasonal items (Yule tree, Yuleklapp, Yule wreath, Yule garland, and Mistletoe)
Those curious for more details regarding everything this new Biome update gives users can read the complete list at the official Valheim site. The patch blog also covers the full-length, detailed list of updates with a spoiler banner so readers can leave with a few surprises, should they wish.
It's good to note:
- The Mistlands biome will only populate in undiscovered portions of your map. The team has recommended that users with fully discovered (or near to it) worlds should start a new seed. (Don't worry, a Valheim character and all equipped, carried gear+items can transfer between World saves.)
- Users with game mods will need to 1) remove them or 2) wait for a particular mod to update to play the latest version of Valheim.
The Iron Gate team has released an animated cinematic trailer and a gameplay trailer to pair with the latest Mistlands update. Those who like to review guides can look at PC Gamer's (early) guide to the update-- while it isn't 100% now, it does provide some clarity about various patch notes and updates. Just in case anyone is wanting a handy link, here is Valheim's Steam page.
Has the Community here kept up with Valheim, or are you considering going back again with this latest update? Let me know below!